Mystic. Beautiful. Incredible. Rough. Remote. Wild. Romantic.
6 girls, 6 cameras, 6 backpacks, 3 surfboards, 3 tents, 2 cars, 1 grill and 1 dog.
That´s all you need for an awesome weekend at sombrio beach on Vancouver Island!
Some facts about Sombrio Beach:
– 1h 35 minute Ferry ride from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay
– 2 hours drive from Victoria on Highway 14 (96 kilometres). Two hot tips for Victoria: Best coffee and muffins/cookies/cakes and everything at the crust bakery, fish burritos at tacofino!
– 57 kilometres west of Sooke and 24 kilometres west of Jordan River
– A 2.5 kilometres gravel road (be prepared: the road is pretty potholed! We had a flat tire at the end…) from Highway 14 takes you to the parking lot.
– Depending on which camp site you wanna stay the walks are around 10-20 minutes. (Yes, better leave the 3rd sweater at home!). We stayed at west sombrio beach on wooden tent platforms, nestled in the treeline above the beach! (direction „little Kuitshe creek“).
– It´s being said that the best surf here is especially during the winter months. And yes, we had some terrific wilderness surfing opportunities but it was also a challenge: There are four spots in this little bay. „Chickens“ located in the middle, is a rocky beachbreak, which is the easiest spot you can find here. (for advanced surfer there are more reefs, further to the right is a rocky ledge called „waterfalls“ for experts only!)
– Best beach walk: East Sombrio to the hidden cave and waterfall
– There is also the popular Juan de Fuca Trail. (Unfortunately we hadn´t enough time).
Thank you girls, it was just great!